You are here
Reading Beauty: (Empowering Books, Early Elementary Story Books, Stories for Kids, Bedtime Stories for Girls) (Hardcover)
An empowering tale for all kids, Reading Beauty features fun, rhyming text, loveable characters, and a heartwarming ending that will keep young minds entertained.
A irrepressible fairy tale retelling that is sure to charm readers of all ages: When a fairy's curse—a deathlike sleep via paper cut—threatens to make her kingdom barren of books, it's up to space princess Lex to break the spell and bring books back to her people. Set in the universe of the acclaimed Interstellar Cinderella, this empowering bedtime story for girls will entice young readers with its brave heroine, star-studded setting, and hilarious, heartwarming happy ending.
• Features brightly colored illustrations with impressive details that bring the storyline to life and keep readers engaged
• Encourages young girls to stand up for what they believe in while reminding them that their positive actions can truly make an impact
• Deborah Underwood is the author of Interstellar Cinderella and many other books for children, including the New York Times bestsellers Here Comes the Easter Cat, The Quiet Book, and The Loud Book
• Meg Hunt is the illustrator of Interstellar a printmaker, educator, and all-around maker of things. She was also the recipient of the 2015 Society of Illustrators Gold Medal Award for her contribution to the Illustrators 58 exhibition
Fans of Grown-Ups Never Do That and A Girl, a Racoon, and the Midnight Moon will also enjoy the fantastical storyline and captivating imagery found in Reading Beauty.
• Great read-aloud book for classroom and families
• Books for kids ages 6-8
• Children's books for early elementary school students
About the Author
Deborah Underwood is the author of Interstellar Cinderella and many other books for children, including the New York Times bestsellers Here Comes the Easter Cat, The Quiet Book, and The Loud Book. She lives in San Francisco.
Meg Hunt is the illustrator of Interstellar Cinderella and a printmaker, educator, and all-around maker of things. She was also the recipient of the 2015 Society of Illustrators Gold Medal Award for her contribution to the Illustrators 58 exhibition. She lives and works in Portland, Oregon.
"A nifty addition to the shelves of feminist fractured fairy tales." — Kirkus Reviews
"[Reading Beauty] will find many fans, especially among those looking for more titles with a multiethnic (or galactic) cast of characters."— Booklist
"This modern retake on 'Sleeping Beauty' is an interstellar fairy tale that is vibrantly illustrated and fun to read–aloud. The rhyming text keeps the story lighthearted and lively. Lex is a brown-skinned protagonist and she and her Prince seem to jump off the page. The story shares a positive message about reading, helping others, and redemption. A great one–on–one read for caregivers, and perfect for group sharing in a library or classroom setting."—School Library Journal
"The rhyming text cleverly spins the story to involve reading at every turn. [And,] Hunt's mixed-media illustrations incorporate eye-pleasing sci-fi details." —Horn Book